A Year-Long Operating Event Recognizing Volunteers
Scheduled W1AW activations for the Missouri Section: 5/31/23 – W1AW/0 & 10/11/23 – W1AW/0
As announced in the January 2023 issue of QST, ARRL is celebrating a year-long operating event honoring all ARRL volunteers: Volunteers On the Air. Read the Announcement
In similar fashion to the 2014 ARRL Centennial Celebration, and the 2018 International Grid Chase, this event will be exclusively driven only by QSOs uploaded to Logbook of The World (LoTW).
Highlights of the event include:
- Earning Points for contacting W1AW Portable Stations: There will be week-long activations of portable W1AW/# stations in all 50 states, and in several US Possessions/Territories, that will generate on-air activity to earn points. Each state will be activated twice. The schedule of when which states will be activated as posted in the dashboard above will be updated as changes/additions occur. See the POINTS TABLE for the full list of points.
- Contacting ARRL Volunteers or Members on the air: ARRL Officers, Directors, Section Managers (and their appointees), Staff, and even Members domestically (and DX) can be contacted for points. See the POINTS TABLE for the full list of points.
- Using Logbook of the World (LoTW – see http://www.arrl.org/logbook-of-the-world) as the QSOs data source, the 2023 Volunteers On The Air event features W1AW activations from all 50 states (twice) and several territories during 2023. Weeks will begin on a Wednesday and end on a Tuesday. Some weeks will be shown as off weeks to avoid other major operating events.
- Participants will work W1AW portable stations and ARRL volunteers to earn QSO points.
- Participants do not need to upload to, or participate in LoTW. Uploads to LoTW by W1AW portable stations and by the volunteers will feed the points scoring system.
- A Leaderboard will be activated after the event ramps up, and Certificates will be availble during and after the event concludes. Once the year is completed, a final summary will be released.